Elevation: 167 m s.l.m.
Area: 38,93 km²
Population: approx. 3.887 - Capoliveresi
Fractions: Innamorata, Lacona, Lido, Madonna delle Grazie, Mola, Morcone, Naregno, Pareti
Capoliveri is one of the eight municipalities on the Tuscan island of Elba. The historic village is located in 167 meters above sea level on the hill Monte Calamita and has 3.887 inhabitants (as of December 31, 2013).
The municipality, which includes the scattered settlements Lacona, Madonna delle Grazie, Morcone, Pareti and Innamorata, has an area of 38 square kilometers. Neighboring municipalities are Portoferraio, Porto Azzurro and Campo nell'Elba.
The area around Capoliveri was already settled to the Etruscan period. This is demonstrated by coin and grave finds that are now kept in the Archaeological Museum in Naples. In Roman times, the names Caput Liberum, Capitis Silvae, Caput Liseri or Caput Liveri handed down. How was that meant is unclear. Free head would be possible as well as a connection to the fertility god Liber, communicating with said wine god Bacchus in conjunction. Since Pliny already described the wine growing in the region, keep historians latter explanation for conclusive.
After the Decline of the Roman Empire, the area around Capoliveri was during the Germanic barbarian invasions haven for refugees from the Tuscan mainland. Moreover, it shares the history of the island of Elba.
In the Napoleonic conquests 1799 the population of Capoliveri strong resistance contributed and destroyed a troupe refugee from Longone; in turn an invading troupe from Portoferraio devastated the city. Against this backdrop it is explained, that Capoliveri in 1814, than the other municipalities of the island friendly received the exiled Napoleon Bonaparte as Emperor of Elba, as the only place responded hostile and the inhabitants refused to pay the taxes.
Today Capoliveri living primarily from tourism.